Sunday, December 13, 2015

What it's like to be legally blind


When I was born, I had optic nerve atrophy. The optic nerve is what sends the image to your brain, and from what I understand, mine aren't fully developed, It affects my far sight, my near sight, my depth perception, and my perception of color. I am legally blind. When I was little, I was told I would be blind by time I hit my teen years and I could never get glasses. So being the fact that I'm 21, not blind, and have had glasses for 10 years is really nothing short of amazing. Thankfully, it hasn't gotten much worse. But it's not getting better. Even with my glasses, I still only see about 20/70. And there's no treatment. Like any nerve, once it's gone, it's gone. So the odds of me ever having good eyesight are slim to none, though I stay optimistic. I've never really been teased about it, thank goodness, except "omg you're so close to your phone!" or "you're so close to your computer!" as if I didn't know that. But I always get the question, "Why not get better glasses," again as though it had never crossed my mind, like I thoroughly enjoy being blind.
What people don't, and probably never will understand, is that what I have, it's a disability. I have never had, nor will I ever, have a normal life. I've spent most of it in the front of the classroom, doing horrible because I can't see, and no one helps cause they do not understand why I can't "just get better glasses." I've had to teach myself to retain information by only hearing it, because I can't always see, and that can be extremely stressful and overwhelming. I generally have to rely on my other senses to do everyday tasks, or on my wonderful friends. The night before I went to renew my licences, I sobbed for hours at the idea that at 21, I would not be able to get my licenses again and have to be completely dependent on someone to help get me places I needed to go, and for anyone that's terrifying, but especially at my age, I couldn't handle the thought. Did I pass the eye test? Hell no. But the guy felt sorry for me. But, like everything else, I've learned to drive blindly, and I do fine about 98% of the time. When you can't see you can amazingly innovate ways to do things people take for granted everyday.
I've gotten to the point where, if someone asks me "why don't you get better glasses?" I turn into a sarcastic asshole. Although they ask out of genuine curiosity, it's an incredibly stupid question, and honestly, I find it incredibly rude. As far as I'm concerned, it's like asking someone hard of hearing why they don't get better hearing aids, or an amputee why they don't just grow a new limb. Because we fucking can't, we would very much like to, but we just fucking can't. I even had one girl, that I had never met, ask me once in a lab if I had bifocals. When I said yes, she goes "why? you don't look that old," I responded telling her that there is no age limit for bad eyesight, and there was obviously no age limit on being an asshole either. I never got an apology but I think she learned her lesson. 
I haven't always been that way, I use to educate people on what I was facing, but as the years went on, I realized that I owed no one an explanation for what was wrong with me. I already had to come to terms with it every single day, and the last thing I wanted was to have to have someone else come to terms with it everyday (although they never do, they just shrug about it, I roll my eyes, and  we move on.)
What's it like to be legally blind? I don't know how to describe it except to say difficult. I've spent my entire life, and always will, learning to adjust to the things normal people can do. But since I've always been this way, I don't know how different it is from someone with normal vision. But I can tell you it's hard. For anyone that has a disability where you have to compensate in creative ways to keep up with the "normal" people, daily tasks are hard. But you get use to it. It's tiring, but it's just your routine. I can't complain too much, because I should be blind. But please don't take your eyesight for granted, and don't question other people's hardships. We are all facing our own hardships, and it's no one else's place to be questioning that.
If you're like me, and have some sort of "disability" that impairs your everyday life, you're great. Never let anyone tell you otherwise, and never let anyone else get you down, you are important. Take the lemons life gave you, add some tequila and salt and tell life it can never bring you down. Never let your disability break you, let it only make you.

No comments:

Post a Comment