Wednesday, December 16, 2015

DIY Ugly Christmas Sweater

Probably one of my favorite things I have ever made was my ugly Christmas sweater. I made this last year for a little over 10$, and I get compliments every time I wear it. When I made it, I could even have it play music! So if you are wanting to make your own light up ugly Christmas sweater (for cheap too!!) just keep reading!

What you'll need:
-Crewneck (mine was 6$ from Walmart and I got it a size too big) -Tinsel -Mini Ornaments -Star Ornament -LED Battery Operated lights (it's important they are LED) -One mini stocking for the lights, two if you want it to play music -Other decorations of your choice -Hot Glue -Piece of cardboard
**I got everything except my sweater at Dollar Tree, definitely check them out to keep the project so inexpensive!
Directions:
1. Lay your sweater flat on a surface and place the piece of cardboard inside, this is so when you hot glue it won't seep through and stick the sweater together.
2. Start by taking the tinsel and laying it out in a snaking pattern from the bottom of the sweatshirt to the top, with the bottom being the largest part and the top being the smallest. This is your tree! Hot glue it down and let it cool.
3. Glue on your mini ornaments in whatever pattern you would like, but keep some distance between them for the lights
4. Glue down one stocking right at the bottom corner of the sweatshirt, and stick the battery pack into the stocking. From here, run your lights throughout the tree in whatever pattern you would like. These need to be LED lights so that nothing will catch fire. I cannot stress that enough, please be sure they are LED!!.
5. Glue your star on the top of the tree!
6. If you want your sweater to play music, find a stocking big enough to hold your phone, and glue it on the opposite end of the bottom of the tree you glued your other stocking. When you want your sweater to sing, just hit play on your phone and stick it in the stocking!
7. Finish decorating how you'd like! I added presents to the underneath of my tree, I also added Santa and Frosty heads from headbands I found at Dollar Tree. Bows, jingle bells, and some ribbon would also be cutely ugly!
And you're done! This is not machine washable, obviously those is a big no-no. Spot clean it if you need, but I don't wear mine in situations where it could get completely ruined,
Pair this with some ornament earrings, plaid leggings, glue a giant bow on a headband and stick in your hair, throw on some red lipstick, and dominate the ugly sweater party!

No comments:

Post a Comment