Sunday, December 6, 2015

A Thank You Letter to my Pledges

To all my pledges,
In the Spring of 2014 I ran for pledge educator, and lost. A brother said to me, "don't get discouraged, you're still a great active brother and it's just not your time." So I ran again in the fall of 2014, I lost again, and it was even more devastating the second time. I never intended to run again, because I didn't want to face the let down of losing again. But the same brother and one more brother pushed me to do it. I was worried if I lost again, I would lose my APO spark ,and not want to be part of the chapter anymore. But I ran, and when the SAA came out and told the chapter that me, Jenna and Kayla won unanimously, all I could do was scream. I got lots of hugs that night, and the one brother that had been behind me the whole me the entire way said me "this is your time."
As soon as we won, the pledge eds got together and started work to make this be best semester of your life. All we wanted was to make sure you all felt right at home in Alpha Phi Omega, and would strive to be the brothers everyone would look up to. As you probably know, from day one we were stressed. It seemed that every move we made caused problems, nothing seemed to go right and no one seemed to be happy with what we were doing. But we kept going, because you were our only priority. After pledge ceremony, we were all so giddy about what a fantastic pledge class we had. We were so proud and overjoyed to have such great pledges. I looked forward to every single Monday night, to see all of you and know you more and more. As cheesy as it sounds, I felt like the parent to 41 college kids. I wanted to see you all succeed, I loved you all for who you were, and on top of it all, I was, and still am, so damn proud. 
Your pledging semester is hands down the hardest semester in your APO career. But every single one of you handled it like a boss. All the while I was going absolutely crazy. Things were piling up, more things were going wrong and it seemed like everyone was against us, except you. All the texts and conversation, all the facebook messages and written notes about how great we were doing, that our hard work never went unnoticed, and how lucky you all were to have us as pledge eds. I can't put into words how happy those made me, more than you all will ever know. 
It was you all the kept up my passion and morale for this position. Watching you all get initiated was one of the best moments of my life, and I have never been so overcome with happiness. Looking back on it, I'm so glad I lost, because this semester was my time. I wouldn't trade the experience you all have given me for the world, and with the semester ending and your first active semester beginning,  I have faith that you all will change this chapter for the better. There is no other group of fantastic men and women that I would want to have guided and taught, and learned from, than the pledge class of fall 2015. I may have been your pledge educator, but all taught me how to be a better brother, and how to not take life so seriously.
Love,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment