Wednesday, December 2, 2015

DIY Holiday Decor


Happy Holidays!
With December officially here, it's now socially acceptable to listen to Christmas music and watch Elf on repeat!
Being in college means you're on a tight budget, and let's be real, room decor can be expensive. No worries though, I'm here to help you out!

First: Wrapped Canvas
This first DIY is so simple and requires four things:
-Scissors
-Tape
-Canvas
-Wrapping Paper
-Bows and ribbon are optional.
Begin with a canvas(es) of any size you want. Wal Mart sells packs of 2 varying in sizes from 3.97$ up. Next, get some wrapping paper or any color and design you chose. You can get rolls for 0.97$ from Wal Mart also. now all you have to do is wrap the canvas like a present! You can also add ribbon and bows to add some pizzazz, but that's optional!
Total = approx. 5$
 



Second: Wreath
A little more pricey, but OH SO pretty! Here is what you need for the basics:
-Wreath form
-Tinsel
-Hot Glue gun
-Decorations (bows, ornaments, etc.)
In the floral section at Hobby Lobby I got a green Styrofoam circle wreath form for 5$, they had a smaller one for 4$ and a bigger for 6$. I got two things of 15ft gold tinsel from Wal Mart for 0.98$ a piece. All I did was hot glue the beginning of the tinsel to the form and wrap it around, and it took me 30ft of tinsel. I then hot glued on some mini ornaments I got from Target for 3.50$. To hang it up I glued on twine on back. Simple as that!
Total = approx. 10.50$


Lastly: Throw Pillows
I am so addicted to throw pillows. In all reality half my bed is just throw pillows, all but two I made. It's a problem. The cost will really depend on how many and how big the pillows you want to make are, but for me, I made three medium size pillows. Here's what you need:
-Christmas (or whichever holiday you celebrate) fabric
-Hot Glue Gun
-Poly Fil
I got three designs of fabric on sale from Hobby Lobby at 1/2 a yard each, totaling about 2.58$ a piece. I cut down one pillow to be square and left the other two alone. Now, you can do this by sewing, but I don't know how to sew, so I went for good old fashion hot glue. Place your fabric with the design down, and the plane part of the fabric facing up. Fold it in half to make the pillow shape and size. Completely glue down all sizes EXCEPT for one hole big enough for your hand. Pull the fabric through the hole so that you now have a pillow case with a hole in one side, the design should now be on the outside. Now stuff the poly fill, 16 ounces is 3.97$ from Wal Mart (I needed two bags for three pillows)  to the hardness you want. You will then just hot glue the hole together and WALA! Throw Pillows!
Total = approx. 15.68$ (that's less than one pillow at Target)


I hope you try out these DIYs and let me know how it goes! Stayed tuned all through December to see more room decor, gift ideas, and more festive posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment