Thursday, December 3, 2015

Holiday Decor

Yesterday we covered decorations that you make yourself.
But what if you're not crafty?
What if you're lazy?
Listen I gotchu.
It can still incredibly simple to add some comforting and festive touches to your room/apartment/house that require no glue gun or mod podge.
First: Candles.
Whenever I think of candles, I imagine that the person made them would have gotten  a nobel prize. They're so cozy, they smell so good, and they're really relaxing. You can get candles from anywhere, Bath and Body Works, TJ Maxx, Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby, anywhere honestly. Depending on where you go is how good they will throw their scent, but that's not so important now. I use to just buy Wal Mart candles, they have little ones for 1$ that really do smell lovely. On Black Friday I splurged on some Bath and Body Works and I'm actually thanking myself for it at this exact moment. Candles really can make a world of difference. If you live in a dorm, you probably can't burn candles. If that's the case, just get some LED candles, especially ones that flicker. They may not give off scent, but when you're cuddled up in your bed while it's snowing, that flickering fake flake really makes up for it.
Second: Blankets
Abe Lincoln once said "blankets are the best thing ever made. Mary, fetch me more blankets please!" True story. If you live half underground in Northwest Ohio right off one of the great lakes where you get -30 wind chill, blankets are a must. If you don't, they're still a must. I have three blankets, one in room with snowmen all over it, and two upstairs with puppies in hats and a plaid one, and they really put you in the winter mindset. Throw some on your bed, or on  you desk chair. Wal Mart has really some cute winter themed ones (where I got the puppies and plaid) for 4.97$, and they're so soft and so cute!
Three:  Store bought decor
Y'ALL. DOLLAR TREE. BOY AM I GLAD THAT PLACE EXISTS. If you're low on $$$, bad at crafting, but still want some room decor, look no further than dollar tree. My favorite things are little trees made of tinsel and the big red bows. Never underestimate that store. I even bought 4 place mats and 4 chargers for my dining room table with a 9$ table cloth from big lots and it transformed our apartment. Always check out dollar tree, for any season, and you'll get some super cute decor.
Four: Christmas Lights
I wish I could say I was kidding when I saw I have 4 strands of Christmas lights in my room. But I'm not. At least one doesn't work anymore. This year I decided to invest in some twinkling lights to put around my window and wow, just wow. It has to be one of my favorite things in my room. You can also put some on your headboard or over your bed, I keep those up all year round and it's so relaxing. Definitely a 10/10 on the "best thing you can do for your room" scale.
Five: Tinsel
Hanging tinsel in your room really classes up the place. Tinsel, though, is one of those things to use sparingly. Don't hang it up in every nook and cranny in your room, Hang it up in one spot or put it over your bed, along with lights, and then your bed will so inviting, you'll have an even harder time getting out of it!
Six: Ornaments
So this walks that line between DIY and not DIY, but since it requires really no crafting I decided to throw it here. This is so customizable, take the idea and run with it! Add you do is pour some ornaments, of any size, into a jar, preferably and apothecary jar but you do you boo boo. You can add tinsel , fake snow, whatever you want!
Lastly: CANDY
Going along with the idea above, all you have to do is pour some holiday themed candy into jars! I've seen people put candy canes around the rim of a mason jar, will up a mason jar with red and green M&Ms, or I got some peppermints and a little Christmas jar from dollar tree. Now, you have some pretty decorations and snacks to spice up your room!

Now, go out and decorate!


No comments:

Post a Comment