Tuesday, January 5, 2016

How to Stay Organized for School


I've found out that organization is like some supreme subculture on the internet that I have completely submerged myself in. Organization not only helps me keep my anxiety under control, it helps me keep my life in check, and honestly, it's so fun and is another way for me to be creative. So besides helping you stay on top of assignments and responsibilities, it also let's you take something you need and make it your own. 
Organization is something that can be as simple as you'd like, and is based completely on how you are as person. As I've gone through college I've progressed into organization all aspects of my life, which, like I said earlier, has helped me so much with my anxiety.
So whether you are a beginner organizer or a pro, I have some tips to help you stay organized and successful this semester.
First, it's incredibly important that you have somewhere to write down all your due dates, or other important dates. The best way is a planner (which I will be showing how I organize my planner this week), a desk calendar, a dry erase board, an app on your phone, or maybe all the above. There are some people that do much better with paper, and others who are better with keeping things on their phone. Either way, it's important to have one place to input all your responsibilities and to dos, because there is no way you can remember all the things you need to do.
Second,  you need a place to keep all your notes and papers. I will admit I use to have a bad habit of shoving things into my notebook and planner. But I decided to invest in a file folder and WOW it has done me wonders. I kept exams, labs, handouts, and even my syllabuses in it. It was thin and I could easily carry it around with me. Likewise, I had one large notebook for note taking. I know a lot of people use this, using a 5 subject spiral bound notebook. It's great because it keeps all your notes in one place, there's no worry you'll grab the wrong notebook running to class, and it's good to study between classes, because you have all your notes in one place. But I do suggest the Five Star Flex Notebinder. My roommate used this, and last spring I got one, and although it's pricey, it's a great investment. It's a binder and spiral in one, because it's not bulky and hard like a binder, but it has 3 rings which allow you to easily move papers around. I can't recommend this enough.
Third, keeps things together. Have a backpack and pencil case that you carry around on campus. I know this sounds like common sense, but I do frequently see people walking around campus just carrying their books. When you have one place to keep everything, you won't be losing anything or leaving anything anywhere. It's important to keep these things clean. all too often I just leave gum wrappers or shoved papers in there and it got me in the habit or doing the same with all my work. Maybe at the end of the week on Sunday night go through and clean it all out. It'll keep it clean but you may also find some papers you need and forgot to file away!
Fourth, keep your desk and workspace clean and organized. I often say that if something is dirty, I can't focus and I'm stressed out until it's back in order, and my desk is no different. I spend a lot of time at my desk, and it's an important part of my room. Having trash, papers, school work, cups, whatever, cluttered all over your work around makes it hard to concentrate. Along with keeping it clean, make it cute, but functional! Make a whiteboard out of a picture frame or wrap some fabric around a corkboard and hang it up above your desk, it'll keep your organized as well as give it some creative flare.
Fifth, if you do your work on a computer, organize your files. you do it however you'd like, but I will tell you my way that helps me best: To begin, I have a folder with the semester and year on it, ie "fall 2012," "spring 2013," "fall 2013," so I know the semester. inside that, I make a folder for the class, not the name but the index number, like "CRJU 2200," "PSYC 3040," "DHS 3000." Different schools use different abbreviations, but I know what each one means - crju means criminal justice, psyc means psychology, and dhs means research methods. Inside the class folder, I will make folders depending on the classwork. For example, for my psyc 3040 class, I had five folders, because I had five tasks; "case studies," "book questions," "final paper," "resources," "group case studies." So for example, for Monday's we would have to read the chapter and answer the book questions, and turn it in electronically. For Wednesday classes, we had to read 2 case studies and ask three questions for each. Then, twice a semester, a group for have to present a case, so in that folder, I kept all that material. If you take class notes on your computer, the best method would be to start a new document every time, and title the notes the date and subject matter. Feel free to set it up however works best for you, though.
Six, plan your days ahead of time. Especially if you are not a morning person. On Sunday night, sit down and figure out what you need to do during the week; pay rent, return a library book, start your sociology project, and make your list in your planner. Then, figure out what you need to do Monday; read pages 340-390, do your geology quiz, book a room for your sorority, etc. Then, each night, make your list of what you need to do the next day and put it in your planner. It will help you sleep better, because you aren't thinking about what needs to get done, and also you won't have to wake up earlier in the morning to figure it out. 
Seven, post it notes are your BFF. My freshman year roommate had this ingenues idea for writing down her assignments for the week on sticky notes assigned for each day, and hung them up on her desk (the desks in our dorm had large hutches on top with a ledge that make it perfect to see). If you refuse to use a planner, this is your next best option. It's also great to write a quick note to stick on your laptop, planner, or bathroom mirror if you are in a hurry and remember something, I also use them to make lists to stick in my planner, and I had a pad of lined post it notes I stick in my planner to take notes in my fraternity's chapter meetings.

And there you have it! Seven tips to stay organized for college. A common theme in my blogs is to invest in a planner, so stay tuned for my next blog where I go over some planner options, and how I organize my own planner!

No comments:

Post a Comment